[rabbitmq-discuss] Channel Cost

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Tue Jan 27 09:13:57 GMT 2009

Jason,

Jason J. W. Williams wrote:
> Is it costly in Rabbit to open and close channels frequently?

Yes.

> The reason I ask is that you can't pickup errors from a basic_publish
> in py-ampqlib until you close the channel.

What do you mean by "errors"? There are two types of errors that can
arise when the server processes a basic.publish command. AMQP errors,
such as malformed requests, missing exchange, etc, close the channel or
connection automatically. Routing failures of messages with the
'mandatory' or 'immediate' flag are signalled to the client with an
asynchronous basic.return command.

Are you saying that in py-amqplib there is no way to get hold of the
latter until channel closure? If so that would seem to be an omission in
the library and I suggest you take that up with the authors.

Matthias.