[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ experience

Gordon Sim gsim at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 21:28:39 GMT 2009

Matthias Radestock wrote:
>>> Performance of RabbitMQ producer is quite impressive!, but the consumer
>>> falls behind.
 >
> [as an aside, your test is *not* measuring the "time to enqueue
> all messages", it is measuring the time it takes the client to hand over
> all messages to the client's network stack; they are a long way from
> being enqueued at that point].

I think that is itself quite an important point in these sorts of
measurements. As the basic.publish command is asynchronous with no form
of acknowledgement, what a publish rate actually measures is vague and
client specific.

A more meaningful result is often the throughput as measured from
publishing client to receiving client. (Adding in a reply queue and
periodic status updates back from the consumer to the producer also
allows such a test to 'throttle' itself and avoid the overload that
Matthias refers to).