[rabbitmq-discuss] AMQP & Python Write-Up

Tim Coote tim+rabbitmq.com at coote.org
Wed Jan 14 23:04:21 GMT 2009

Surely one of the great benefits of a messaging programming style is
that you can use processes rather than threads.

Threads will surely become a bottleneck as future hardware speed
improvements move to multicore and so cannot support shared state. So,
we can move back to the relatively safer and lower cost ($ to build
and maintain) process based software models.

Although Python supports a threading model, the GIL makes it
ineffective in many cases.  I suspect that this is deliberate on
Guido's part.

>> I called py-amqplib non-threadsafe because the docs say not to share
>> channels between threads. So I suppose it would be more accurate to
>> say, the library is threadsafe if you do not share channel objects
>> between threads.
>
> IIRC Barry's first incarnation was threadless and hence threadsafe.

Tim Coote
tim at coote.org
vincit veritas