[rabbitmq-discuss] Durable exchanges

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Tue Jan 13 09:03:54 GMT 2009

Valentino,

Valentino Volonghi wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2009, at 4:12 PM, Matthias Radestock wrote:
>> amqp_channel:call(Channel, #'exchange.declare'{exchange = Name,
>>                                               durable = true}).
>>
>> That's pretty easy, isn't it?
>
> Well... Yes, it's just annoying because then I need to replicate this
>  call in every place where I need a durable exchange and it would be
> a lot easier if it was part of the client api

The above *is* part of the client api.

Should lib_amqp contain a separate function for every conceivable
combination of flags and exchange types, e.g.
  declare_durabe_auto_delete_topic_exchange(...)
?

If not, where do you draw the line?

lib_amqp predates the use of defaults in the record definitions. With
those defaults in place, creating small wrappers in lib_amqp saves no
more than a couple of tokens. And on the downside you then have to
remember what all those different functions are called and in which
order they take their arguments.

> it's definitely possible that it's an error on my side so I wouldn't
> worry.

Well, it does concern me when you are seeing apparently non-sensical
behaviour in your tests. If you do run into this again, could you
perhaps post step-by-step instructions to reproduce the results from a
fresh broker install?

Matthias.