[rabbitmq-discuss] Fwd: question on the faq

Gordon Sim gsim at redhat.com
Mon Jan 5 11:35:08 GMT 2009

Alexis Richardson wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Tim Coote <tim+rabbitmq.com at coote.org> wrote:
>> A neophyte's question:
>>
>> The  faq includes 'is rabbitmq transactional?'
>>
>> The answer is 'yes' and then says that it has atomicity and durability
>> guarantees. What about Isolation and consistency?
>
> There are senses in which AMQP, and RabbitMQ, behaviour can be
> described as ACID, following the wikipedia definition:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACID

In recent discussions on improving the text for the tx 'class' in the
0-9-1 spec there appeared to be some disagreement around the atomicity
guarantee.

In particular, I understood from comments by members of the RabbitMQ
team that though effects of all contained (publish and ack) operations
are visible if the the commit is successful, RabbitMQ does not guarantee
that none of them would be visible in the event of a failure.