[rabbitmq-discuss] Queues and auto_delete

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Thu Aug 6 20:08:20 BST 2009

Garrett,

Garrett Smith wrote:
> I have a queue where auto_delete = false (using rabbitmqctl
> list_queues to verify), When I close the last connection, it goes
> away. Are there other factors that determine whether a queue is
> automatically deleted?

Is your queue declared with exclusive=true?

> Also, queues where auto_delete = true seems to be deleted
> *immediately* after the last channel is closed. IIRC, the broker
> should wait for a period of time to allow clients to disconnect and
> reconnect without losing messages.

Such behaviour would be inherently unpredictable. RabbitMQ in fact goes
to great lengths to guarantee almost the opposite - for ordinary
channel/connection closure, auto-deletion will have happened by the time
a client learns of the closure.

Regards,

Matthias.