[rabbitmq-discuss] millions of unack'd messages in a day -- disk store instead of ram?

Richard Heycock rgh at roughage.com.au
Tue Apr 28 01:33:21 BST 2009

Excerpts from Alexis Richardson's message of Tue Apr 28 01:53:25 +1000 2009:
> Brian,
>
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Brian Whitman <brian at echonest.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Alexis Richardson
> > <alexis.richardson at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Brian
> >> You may find this blog post relevant:
> >>
> >> http://www.lshift.net/blog/2009/04/02/cranial-surgery-giving-rabbit-more-memory
> >
> > Ah great, putting an EBS swap behind it is probably a good temp solution.
> > I'll give that a go and run some tests. Thanks for the pointer. I wouldn't
> > recommend anyone use S3 for this-- we max out at about 40-50 "keys"/files a
> > second from other ec2 instances.
>
> I have heard others have been successful with EBS.  Please do let us
> all know how you get on!

I'm using rabbitmq on EC2 and EBS. There is a bit of messing around with
getting the hostname setup correctly (I change the hostname and then add
"127.0.0.1 hostname" to /etc/hosts otherwise it will not survive
reboots) but aside from that it works well.

I would point out though that my volumes are not that high

rgh