[rabbitmq-discuss] AMQP Administration

Colin Z theczintheroc2007 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 19:27:42 BST 2009

I think that would be a really useful addition for Rabbit.

A topic exchange named something like amq.admin or amq.broker.info that has
internal consumers listening to several queues whose bindings correspond to
a standardized set of messages and routes info messages to a response
exchange appropriately.

Just some off the cuff ideas:

amq.admin.listVirtualHosts.[pattern]
amq.admin.listUsers.[pattern]
amq.admin.listPrivileges.(user)
amq.admin.listExchanges.vHostName.[pattern]
amq.admin.listQueues.exchangeName.queueName.[pattern]
amq.admin.listQueues.exchangeName.binding.[pattern]
amq.admin.getMessageCount.queueName

where pattern might be a simple matching expression.
ex: if you sent a message with the routing key
amq.admin.listVirtualHosts.Rabbit* you would get back a message with a list
of all virtual hosts whos ename starts with "Rabbit".

So it might be like this, at a high level....

RabbitMQ server:
amq.admin - Topic exchange
   has a set of queues bound with routing keys corresponding to each command
   each queue has an internal consumer process listening. These processes
will use rabbit_control to get the requested info and construct a response
message.
   client messages should have a "secret" routing key in the payload (see
below) so the consumers know where to route their response.

amq.admin.response - Direct exchange
   clients bind exclusive queues with a "secret" routing key that they send
in the payload of their messages to amq.admin
   the internal consumer processes route their response messages to this
exchange with the "secret" key the client sent in their message.