[rabbitmq-discuss] moving mnesia between machines.

Richard Heycock rgh at roughage.com.au
Wed Apr 22 08:42:34 BST 2009

Hi,

I'm running rabbitmq on an ec2 instance with nmesia on amazon's
persistent block storage so when I shut the machine down and start
another the queues, etc are persisted.

However, during testing, when I mount the partition on the new machine
rabbitmq won't start up; I get a timeout error (from rabbit-sasl.log):

starting database             ...timeout
{"init terminating in
do_boot",{{nocatch,{error,{cannot_start_application,rabbit,{{timeout_waiting_for_tables,[user,user_vhost,vhost,rabbit_config,listener,durable_routes,route,reverse_route,durable_exchanges,exchange,durable_queues,amqqueue]},{rabbit,start,[normal,[]]}}}}},[{init,start_it,1},{init,start_em,1}]}}^M

When I mount the partition on the original machine rabbitmq starts up
properly.

Is it possible to move the database across machines like this or will I
need to dump it and reload?

rgh