[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Erlang API questions

Lev Walkin vlm at lionet.info
Fri Apr 10 19:37:29 BST 2009

Matthias Radestock wrote:
> Lev,
>
> Lev Walkin wrote:
>> Matthias Radestock wrote:
>>> I think the instructions at http://www.rabbitmq.com/mercurial.html
>>> cover that, don't they?
>>
>> 1. There is no mentioning that the erlang client branch should match
>> the server version.
>
> "It's important to make sure that all the repositories you are using are
> on the same tag as each other."
>
>> 2. There is no information that despite the requirement that client
>> branch must somehow "correspond" to the server branch, there is no
>> v1_5_4 branch in the erlang client. The client only has v1_5 tag, no
>> v1_5_[34].
>
> "If there is no specific tag for a repository for the version of the
> server you are using, try using the newest tag that has the same major
> and minor version number."
>
>> 3. There is no clear indication that in order to use -1.5.4 server,
>> the client should be checked out using v1_5 branch.
>
> "Another alternative for this hypothetical situation would be to use the
> tip of the 1.5.x branch:"
>
>> And so on.
>
> Granted, the instructions could definitely be improved. Do you have some
> concrete suggestions? If you send me some updated text I'd be happy to
> incorporate it.

See attached picture. The text "on how WE use mercurial" is not helping
in detecting your intention, we need "information how YOU should use
mercurial", conceptually. I propose adding something as the very next
row right after rabbitmq-erlang-client snapshot. Something like

|| To get snapshot matching the latest released 1.5.4 server code: || hg
clone -v1_5 ... || browse repo ||

and also "See more information on branch matching between the server and
the client code repos _here_".

Or smth.

--
Lev Walkin