[rabbitmq-discuss] channel.flow

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Thu Apr 9 20:57:08 BST 2009

Amos,

Amos Elliston wrote:
> i started testing my new ruby amqp client in production last night.
> unfortunately, at 5 in the morning (when rabbit is most heavily
> loaded) i started receiving channel.flow frames after sending a
> basic.get. i don't really know what to do in this situation and the
> documentation is a bit confusing. can someone point me in the right
> direction? i'm using rabbit 1.5.4-1.

When a client receives a channel.flow{active = false}, it is supposed to
stop publishing and reply with channel.flow_ok{active = false}. When it
receives a channel.flow{active = true} it can resume publishing and
should reply with channel.flow_ok{active = true}.

The RabbitMQ Java and .net clients automatically handle the flow_ok
reply and block any threads that attempt to do a publish while
active=false, resuming them when active=true.

Note that since channel.flow only affects publishes, it should have no
effect on application code that only acts as a consumers.

Matthias.