[rabbitmq-discuss] Consumer Tags - use case?

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 19:26:21 BST 2008

Anders,

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 6:15 PM, anders conbere <aconbere at gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the use case for assigning ConsumerTags? It doesn't seem like
> attaching them yourself doesn't really buy you any functionality.

This is what the current spec says about setting the tag manually:

"[A consumer tag] specifies the identifier for the consumer. The
consumer tag is local to a connection, so two clients can use
the same consumer tags. If this field is empty the server will
generate a unique tag."

I haven't come across a use case for this myself, but it does allow
you to use a well known name if you can be sure not to re-use it in
the same connection. I guess you could just send off the consume
command and just ignore the ack if you were sure that the subscription
was definitely going to suceed. Saves you a line of code - which may
appeal to the effici-o-nados out there :-)

Any other takers?

HTH,

Ben