[rabbitmq-discuss] error connecting to rabbitmq node

Sarah Jelinek sjjelinek at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 20:17:09 BST 2008

Matthias Radestock wrote:
> Sarah,
>
> Sarah Jelinek wrote:
>> I am a new user to rabbitmq. I got the rabbitmq server pkg installed
>> on my ubuntu, Hardy system. I started the server, and after some
>> tweaking to the erlang path(-pa) value it started the server
>> correctly. When installing the rabbitmq-server pkg via apt-get or
>> even dpkg it installs the utilities in /usr/sbin/, but the rabbitmq*
>> scripts expect to be able to see the 'ebin' directory at '../ebin'.
>
> You shouldn't have to tweak the erlang load path; the RabbitMQ Erlang
> code gets installed alongside the Erlang/OTP libraries, so should be
> picked up automatically.
>
> What error did you get when you tried starting the server prior to
> modifying the path?

The rabbitmq code is installed in /usr/lib/erlang/lib/rabbitmq_server...
But, when trying to start the server via
> rabbitmq at re:~$ /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d rabbitmq-server start

I get:

> Starting rabbitmq-server: TIMEOUT - check
> /var/log/rabbitmq/startup.{log,err}
> rabbitmq-server.

And the log shows:
> more /var/log/rabbitmq/startup.log
> {"init terminating in
> do_boot",{undef,[{rabbit_multi,start,[]},{init,start_it,1},{init,start_em,
> 1}]}}

The /etc/init.d/rabbitmq-server script starts /usr/sbin/rabbitmq-multi,
which in turn does:

> exec erl \
>     -pa ../ebin \
>     -noinput \
>     -hidden \
>     ${ERL_ARGS} \
>     -sname rabbitmq_multi$$ \
>     -s rabbit_multi \
>     ${START_ARGS} \
>     -extra "$@"

It is looking in /usr/sbin/../ebin for erlang code. It isn't in that
path when starting the server this way. Unless I put a symlink in
/usr/lib/erlang/lib/rabbitmq_server-1.4.0/bin it doesn't find the .beam
files.

I am using apt-get to install the rabbitmq server pkg. Is there
something else I should be doing?

Using the instructions here:
> http://www.rabbitmq.com/debian.html#apt

Regards,