[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ memory management

tsuraan tsuraan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 21:16:37 BST 2008

> So it's a bit of a time bomb, but will not be the show-stopper I imagined,
> because if the VM does crash for any reason, I will make sure it gets
> restarted by a watchdog, so service won't be interrupted for long and nobody
> besides myself and my client will know any better or even care. I'll also
> have to make sure that my code notices that Rabbit died and reconnect when
> it comes back up (which the code should be doing anyway). The worst that
> will happen is that some in-flight messages that didn't make it to disk may
> need to be re-sent.

If RabbitMQ crashes because it's out of memory, I understand that it
should be able to start again without losing any data.  Will the next
message sent to it (before any messages are dequeued) cause the queue
to crash again?  I assume that must be the case, since nothing was
lost when the program crashed.  I don't know what to do about this,
but it may be something to try to plan around.