[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ memory management

Edwin Fine rabbitmq-discuss_efine at usa.net
Thu Sep 11 23:48:35 BST 2008

Ben,

I don't know if I am reading this discussion correctly, but I am using
RabbitMQ specifically in a store-and-forward context. It should be able to
store persistent messages until the disk fills up even if no consumer is
draining the queue. If it is going to die because memory fills up before
forwarding gets done, that's a show-stopper for me. I don't mean to beat you
over the head by comparing RabbitMQ to WebSphere MQ, but it doesn't fall
over in this scenario unless the disk fills up (or the max queue depth is
reached), and even then, it just refuses to take more messages. IMHO, this
is how any messaging and queuing system that supports persistent messages
should work.

Please tell me I am misunderstanding.

Regards,
Edwin