[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ memory management

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 15:11:31 BST 2008

Eran,

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Eran Sandler <eran.sandler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to be sure on the clustering side of things, when I cluster RabbitMQ
> nodes they messages gets replicated to both servers, right?

Nope.

[This is now in the clustering section of the FAQs:
https://dev.rabbitmq.com/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#section_8]

Although we *could* do this, we don't, because it's too expensive.
This would mean replicating every message across the the network in a
synchronous fashion. And not too many *really* need it, in the event
of a Rabbit node crashing, they just replay the log for that node.

BBHoss started a discussion about this on IRC (look for the discusion
about HA and DR between BBHoss and hal):
http://dev.rabbitmq.com/irclog/index.php?date=2008-08-27

Having said that, this may be a use case for pluggable queues, for the
avail-o-nados out there :-)

Ben