[rabbitmq-discuss] New to AMQP - Who Declares Exchange

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 01:29:50 BST 2008

Bradford,

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 12:30 AM, newps <fingermark at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in creating a topic exchange.  Which entity should declare the
> exchange:  the publisher or subscriber?  And why?

Not wanting to be overly theoretical, but the AMQP working group is
now moving to a more formal definition of declarations that mean that
they have the same semantics as an assertion.

So by saying declare queue q  or declare exchange x, you are
effectively saying "I assert the existence of object o, if it does not
exist, make it so".

Publishers need to write to somewhere.

Consumers need to have queues bound to something.

So both sides are only interested in the mere existence of the thing
they need to do their job, not whether they or some other guy
originally initiated that object's creation.

Does that answer your question?

Ben