[rabbitmq-discuss] Rabbitmqctl issues

Peter Kieltyka peter.kieltyka at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 21:29:57 BST 2008

Hello everyone,

For the longest time, I've struggled to be able to control the server
to do basic start/stop/restart commands.

Currently on my production server I am running Debian Etch where I
followed the instructions at http://www.rabbitmq.com/debian.html to
install Rabbit.

Running the rabbitmq-server or rabbitmq-multi start_all 1 commands
will bring the server online, however to stop it, or add a user none
of the scripts work. I am always presented with an error, bad_node.

I.e.

Creating user "patbroker" ...
rabbit_control action add_user failed:
{badrpc,nodedown}

However, I can confirm that Rabbit is running fine because my
application is working just fine. I've even tried explicitly
specifying the -n rabbit at broker (hostname -s returns broker).

The same goes for stopping the server, either using /etc/init.d/
rabbitmq-server stop, or calling "rabbitmq-multi stop_all" directly
will result in:

Stopping all nodes...

rabbit_multi action stop_all failed:
no_nodes_running