[rabbitmq-discuss] Release Process

Michael Arnoldus chime at mu.dk
Wed Nov 19 16:20:14 GMT 2008

Ben,

Yes and no :-)

In a perfect world it ought to be sufficient to state the version of
the protocol the broker and the clients implements to assure they can
talk to each other. If that didn't work it should be possible to find
the misbehaving party and fix that like a bug. This would mean no meta
release until the components comply with a new AMQP version.

While I do understand that the world doesn't work like this, I also
think it is the right ideal to work towards. In fact I wouldn't
surprise myself a lot if I some day claimed that not striving towards
this ideal is the primary reason that many standards aren't worth the
bytes used to store their description in.

So I guess what I'm worried about is that you will change your focus
to much towards maintaining internal consistency between your own
components and forget the standard compliance that should be a very
important part of this.

Michael