[rabbitmq-discuss] Queue Paging - Disk Overflow

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 22:59:56 GMT 2008

Guys,

There has been a lot of discussion about overflowing messages to disk
when memory is scarce (as opposed to throttling producers):

http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/2008-November/002386.html
http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/2008-September/001858.html
http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/2008-October/002212.html

The long and the short of it is that it would realistically take one
of the Rabbit dev team 3 working weeks to implement this properly
(with QA).

The unfortunate reality is that at LShift we have to do paid work in
order to fill the fridge.

So the situation on guaranteed store and forward is either:

1. We'll get around to it some time, or:
2. If everybody who wants disk overflow chips in with a fiver, then
when we get the money together, we can dedicate solid uninterrupted
time to this task.

Ben