[rabbitmq-discuss] whether the weather is right.

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 08:52:48 GMT 2008

Peter,

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 1:54 AM, Peter Silva <Peter.A.Silva at gmail.com> wrote:
> the context was to match behaviour of another system, where the equivalent
> of bindings are set by an administrator.  The purpose is to permit some
> recipients
> access to some messages arriving on an exchange, but not others.
>
> The proposal I got was to have a separate application create the queues, and
> bindings, and just have the producers and consumers connect.   That will
> work fine, provided that the consumers have no permission to modify
> bindings.
>
> Is that an easy/standard thing to do with rabbit?

All of the functionality you mention is available from within a client
library, including the ability to modify bindings. ATM Rabbit does not
have any access restriction mechanism surrounding the modification of
entities (exchanges, queues and bindings) within a virtual host. For
your application, I would suggest that you name your exchanges such
that they would be unguessable by anybody other than the
administrator. This is security through obscurity, but it is mildly
reminiscent of security capabilities (see separate discussion topics
on capabilities).

HTH,

Ben