[rabbitmq-discuss] Flow Control

Edwin Fine rabbitmq-discuss_efine at usa.net
Sun Nov 9 23:00:16 GMT 2008

Ben,

Truly, I always felt uncomfortable with using a cast on publish because you
can't tell directly if there was a problem. I'd prefer a call.

Maybe this is a hare-brained idea, but can't the broker just send a
channel.flow to the producer; the Erlang client just forwards it on to the
producer in precisely the same way as it sends a basic.receive to a
consumer? The publishing application would just need to write a handle_info
for channel.flow just like a consumer does for basic.receive, or have I
missed the point?

I realize that this means that publishing applications can choose to ignore
channel.flow commands, but that would be shooting themselves in the foot. In
the 0.8 spec it says "The peer that requests a Channel.Flow method MAY
disconnect and/or ban a peer that does not respect the request.", so the
server could just drop the channel if the publisher ignores it.

Now I am not sure what is meant by a "peer", if that's the client itself or
the application that is using the client. Either way, I believe that the
Erlang client simply forwarding the channel.flow command to the application
and requiring it to respond with the ok (and stop sending) is within the
spirit of the spec, and should (?) be simple to do in the client.

Can you see any issues with doing it like this?

Regards,
Ed