[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ running at 100% CPU.

Michael Arnoldus chime at mu.dk
Thu Mar 13 09:38:16 GMT 2008

Hi,

We've had a rabbit server running for quite some time (not sure
precisely how long but between 1 and 2 weeks). This morning we had
some difficulty connecting to it from the outside and on further
investigation we found it used constantly between 99.8 and 100.3 %
CPU. We are using 5.5.5 (11-5 as far as I remember), not compiled with
SMP, running on Mac OS X 10.5.2. Going into erlang it looks like it
isn't doing anything. No messages waiting in queues, at at most 30.000
reductions on any process in 10 sec. Now it is some time ago that I
have debugged erlang programs, so I'm not sure here, but as far as I
remember, 30.000 really isn't anything and certainly doesn't explain
100% CPU utilization. It's not using a lot of memory - and in short
everything looks quite ok (for me) - if it wasn't because it's hogging
the CPU.

I've kept it running. I'm sure if I restart erlang everything will
just run perfectly, but I'd rather use this incident to try to find
the problem if it's possible. However i'm running out of things to
try, so any suggestions will be welcome.

BTW - noting beyond the ordinary in rabbit.log and nothing in rabbit-
sasl.log. Also, we using QPID pythin client so we're conecting in lax
mode.

If nobody has any other suggestions I'd be inclined to upgrade to the
latest version of erlang. Does anybody have any experince using this
with Rabbit?

Regards,

Michael Arnoldus