[rabbitmq-discuss] Problem running rabbit broker

Edwin Fine rabbitmq-discuss_efine at usa.net
Sun Jun 1 16:56:46 BST 2008

Well, I think the error is pretty clear. You didn't ensure the
/var/lib/rabbitmq directory and its subdirectories are writable by whichever
user actually ran the rabbit broker:

/rabbitmq-server: 47: *cannot create
/var/log/rabbitmq/rabbit.log**.bak: Permission
denied*
{"init terminating in do_boot",{{nocatch,{error, *
{cannot_log_to_file,"/var/log/rabbitmq/rabbit.log",eacces}*
}},[{init,start_it,1},{init,start_em,1}]}}

When you create directories as root, ensure that you set their mode
appropriately so they are usable by non-root users. What I did to avoid this
issue is as follows:

   - Created a user rabbitmq, in a group rabbitmq
   - Made all related directories to be owned by this user/group, and rwx by
   the user/group
   - Gave myself membership of the rabbitmq group

e.g.

# chown rabbitmq:rabbitmq /var/log/rabbitmq
# chown rabbitmq:rabbitmq /var/lib/rabbitmq
# chmod -R ug+rwx /var/log/rabbitmq
# chmod -R ug+rwx /var/lib/rabbitmq
# usermod -G rabbitmq iahiru