[rabbitmq-discuss] amqp usage and msg ack timeout

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 13:02:03 BST 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Ben Hood <0x6e6562 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My second question involves a timeout for the acknowledgment of
>> messages.  I noticed that if a process crashed, a message would
>> automatically be put back into the queue, but if instead the process
>> went into an infinite loop, the message would stay checked out
>> indefinitely.  Is there a way to tell the server that if a message has
>> been received, but not acked in a period of time, that it should be put
>> back into the queue?
>
> This is handled by volume and not by time. After a certain amount of
> unroutable messages have queued up (because their consumption is not
> ack'ed) they will be returned to the sender.

Apologies for the misleading statement, this is actually incorrect.
The messages are not returned to the sender.

If there are outstanding unack'ed messages that have been delivered to
a consumer, when the channel is closed that the messages were sent in,
all of those outstanding messages will be requeued.

Ben