[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Java management module?

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 17:31:45 BST 2008

Holger,

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Holger Hoffstätte <holger at wizards.de> wrote:

> I was just cloning the finally available rabbit repos and found in the
> erlang-client logs that you have (had?) apparently started with a Java
> management module, which has since been split off. Was that just an early
> prototype or are you still working on it?

It was just an early prototype that hasn't gone very far, mainly for
lack of interest.

The idea was to expose a proprietary Rabbit API via AMQP using a
language neutral serialization protocol to marshall the API calls
(e.g. JSON, Hessian) in the absence of a formal management aspect to
the core protocol.

So you could expose this API in whatever language you wanted to and
then just use AMQP as a transport mechanism.

On the broker side, you have an AMQP/RPC server that unmarshalls the
commands and invokes the native function within the address space of
the broker.

One of the underlying principles of this was to have a strongly typed
contract on the client side, which may or may not be a good thing,
depending on how you look at it.

That's about as far as the idea got I'm afraid.

Having said that, Tony may be able to comment on a different approach
that involves using a DSL over XMPP to achieve the same thing which is
naturally a lot more flexible.

> I ask because after visiting
> Alexis & LShift in April, I have been following the AMQP management "working
> group" and thinking about possible way of enabling/exposing various aspects
> of monitoring and management functions. If you want to share thoughts or
> ideas please let me know.

Yes, there is a lot of value in driving a discussion about this topic
and forming some kind of concrete proposal based on use cases. Ideally
the community should define the requirements of the system :-)

HTH,

Ben