[rabbitmq-discuss] Scalable multithreaded consumer

Holger Hoffstätte holger at wizards.de
Wed Jan 30 13:46:05 GMT 2008

Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:
> Each message is basically "please poll the POP3 mailbox for user XYZ", then?
>
>> In Java [...] I wished I could have 10 000 threads running at the same time
>
> Oh yes, wouldn't that be nice :-)

Not to steal any Erlang steam here but those of you who need at least some
kind of Actor-ish lightweight behaviour in their Java should check out the
ForkJoin work going on in the jsr166y project
(http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/concurrency-interest/). Tim Peierls set up a
Wiki at http://artisans-serverintellect-com.si-eioswww6.com/default.asp?W1
which provides some overview and example code.

Holger
(ZOMG! I can't believe I'm advocating Java..)