[rabbitmq-discuss] Generic AMQP API / Java client library evolution (OT?)

Alexis Richardson alexis.richardson at cohesiveft.com
Fri Feb 15 14:36:15 GMT 2008

Holger

Good to hear from you again.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Holger Hoffstätte <holger at wizards.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  A more general question about AMQP, hope that is not too OT. Does anybody
>  know if there are any plans for a generic Java API in terms of interfaces,
>  like JMS?

Yes.  But not quite yet.  Watch for public announcements from the AMQP
WG quite soon, on the spec and roadmap.

> I saw the note about the "properly modeled" client API on the
>  Rabbit roadmap and it was not entirely clear whether this will follow some
>  kind of common API.

We are looking at this right now.  Have you seen our .NET
documentation?  That gives a flavour of where we want to go.  We are
keen to involve everyone in this discussion.  Let us know if you want
to get involved.

> Looking at Qpid they seem to happily mix Qpid and JMS
>  APIs, which may help adoption but IMHO looks a bit questionable from an
>  evolutionary point of view, since AMQP is so much more powerful and
>  well-defined than JMS.
>  Any thoughts appreciated.

I think it is fair to say that AMQP's model needs native support in an
API.  Especially outside Java, or to 'take full advantage' of AMQP.

At the same time, JMS is a major standard.  I quite understand anyone
wanting to use it.

Thoughts?

alexis