[rabbitmq-discuss] Building Erlang for RabbitMQ

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Fri Feb 8 15:02:23 GMT 2008

Hi Dmitriy,

Dmitriy Samovskiy wrote:
> Could you please recommend ./configure options for building Erlang R11B-5.

I've really only ever tried "./configure --prefix=/opt/erlang", on my
Mac. Otherwise I use the stock Debian packages or Windows binaries.

> I noticed erl in your session reports "Erlang (BEAM) emulator version
> 5.5.5 [source] [async-threads:30] [kernel-poll:true]", and mine says
> "Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.5.5 [source] [async-threads:0] [hipe]
> [kernel-poll:false]".  Are these differences significant? I built with
> "--prefix=/usr --disable-x".

The differences are interesting. The async-threads were something we
enabled to reduce the impact of blocking system calls for workloads
involving persistent messages, but since it's only a minor tweak for
performance enhancement in one case, it shouldn't matter if it's not
there usually.

The kernel-poll thing is I think an extension for more efficient IO
eventing from the kernel. Only a few operating systems support it.

What kind of platform are you building Erlang on?

> BTW, Erlang R12B-1 is out today (Feb 6).

Thanks for the tip! I'm looking forward to experimenting with it; for
now, we're still recommending R11B-5.

Regards,
  Tony
--
 [][][] Tony Garnock-Jones     | Mob: +44 (0)7905 974 211
   [][] LShift Ltd             | Tel: +44 (0)20 7729 7060
 []  [] http://www.lshift.net/ | Email: tonyg at lshift.net