[rabbitmq-discuss] log file management

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Wed Dec 10 18:03:22 GMT 2008

Hi Michael,

Michael Ossareh wrote:
> in our case we have many gb log files (7gb after a few days)  and the
> server spends a long time putting them into cat.

That's an excellent point. We've recently improved the way we do logging
to the point where it's a short step to avoiding doing any log rotation
in the startup scripts at all. The system's log-rotation tools will do
everything.

However, the impending release will likely *not* see these changes --
it's at least one release away.

> Overall, however, surely log rotation is the task of logrotated? I'm
> not sure how well this maps to any erlang best practices though.

Absolutely, the more we can delegate to the normal operating system
services, the better. The next release, 1.5.0, *will* use logrotate in a
standard way. (It will still do the thing in the startup scripts, though.)

Regards,
  Tony
--
 [][][] Tony Garnock-Jones     | Mob: +44 (0)7905 974 211
   [][] LShift Ltd             | Tel: +44 (0)20 7729 7060
 []  [] http://www.lshift.net/ | Email: tonyg at lshift.net