[rabbitmq-discuss] Our fight against scammers

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 01:43:14 BST 2008

Hi Guillaume,

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 6:52 PM, Guillaume Theoret <smokinn at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd be doing it on my own time I imagine (at least at first) because I
> have serious concerns about the feasibility of writing it in php. We
> have a lot of stuff to get done so I don't want to spend a week at
> work working on something unnecessary that has a high likelihood of
> failure.

Thanks for bringing the need of a PHP library to my attention. This
reminds me that this been requested in the past as well.

I can understand your apprehension in taking on this task.

So I have added this to the list of things can be tackled by members
of the community in the Endless Summer of Code
(https://dev.rabbitmq.com/wiki/EndlessSummerOfCode), maybe this will
get picked up by somebody.

> I did plan on looking into possible ways of implementing it in php
> though so if you have any links (other than
> http://hopper.squarespace.com/blog/2008/6/21/build-your-own-amqp-client.html
> which I've already read) that would be useful I'd like to see them.

Unfortunately there is not that much further documentation on this
particular subject that I know of, which is why the article was
written in the first place. However, if anybody else knows of any
other articles on this topic, I wish to stand corrected.

The best advice I could give is not to be too daunted by the
immenseness of the task - after you have grasped the central concepts,
it is fairly straight forward.

The second best advice I can give is not be too shy to publish code
that is still in it's infancy - everybody out there knows that
software is not a perfectly formed work of art from the very first
line of code onwards :-)

> Don't expect something soon though because I'll first have to
> familiarize myself with the protocol (though py-amqplib is so
> amazingly well commented that it will be a great help here and there
> are the other client implementations I can go though)

Another great pointer would be Aman's Ruby client for AMQP:
http://github.com/tmm1/amqp/tree/master

> into how to implement it. php is pretty good for quick processing of
> web requests but implementing anything substantial in it tends to
> bring incredible pain.

HTH,

Ben