[rabbitmq-discuss] Just publishing messages causes rabbit_writer:mainloop to hang and simultaneous pub problem

Joe Lee codewalkerjoe at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 01:21:23 BST 2008

> BTW, if you don't supply a host name when starting the connection, the
> client will start in a direct mode using native Erlang message passing
> rather than AMQP wire framing. This means that the client and server run in
> the same interpreter and eliminate the network overhead.

Is this valid also when running rabbitmq erlang client and rabbitmq server
on separate erlang nodes?

I sent 3 amqp message to the rabbitmq broker from a separate erlang client
node.  The three 3 amqp messages create 3 rabbit_writer:mainloop/1
processes.  This rabbit_writer:mainloop/1 process never goes away.

<0.71.0>              rabbit_writer:mainloop/1               233      132
0
                      rabbit_writer:mainloop/1
2
<0.72.0>              rabbit_writer:mainloop/1               233      132
0
                      rabbit_writer:mainloop/1
2
<0.73.0>              rabbit_writer:mainloop/1               233      132
0
                      rabbit_writer:mainloop/1
2

One rabbit_writer:mainloop process traced:

initial_call: rabbit_writer:mainloop/1
current_function: rabbit_writer:mainloop/1
heap_size: 233
stack_size: 2
reductions: 132
trap_exit: false
<0.72.0>: getting_linked   <0.112.0>

After that I increased number of processes on a single erlang node to
something higer than 50 000 and sent 50 000 messages.  For some reason, 50
000 rabbit_writer:mainloop processes are still there.  They don't go away.
Processes only go away when I restart the rabbit erlang client node.

7> erlang:system_info(process_count).
50044

Thank you,
Joe