[rabbitmq-discuss] Disk/Memory Usage with RabbitMQ

Barry Pederson bp at barryp.org
Thu Dec 20 15:49:11 GMT 2007

I've been experimenting with RabbitMQ 1.2.0 on a FreeBSD 6.2 box,
installed using the Generic Unix instructions from
http://www.rabbitmq.com/install.html - (not doing any clustering), and
am seeing my memory and disk usage growing pretty steadily as I'm
starting to make use of persistent messages and durable queues.  I
should also mention I'm using my alternate Python client library.

In my mnesia/rabbit directory, rabbit_persister.LOG has grown to 23Mb,
and "top" shows the SIZE of the process to be 113M, up from about 18M
when the daemon first starts.

I found some earlier messages in Google about rabbit memory usage, for
example:

http://www.nabble.com/beam-instances-and-growing-memory-usage-td13805341.html

and used

	rabbit_amqqueue:stat_all().

To look at the queues, and just see

	[{ok,{resource,<<"/">>,queue,<<"syslog_interpret">>},0,1}]

Which I take to mean just one queue named 'syslog_interpret' with zero
messages and 1 consumer?

Does having a large and growing rabbit_persister.LOG file indicate
messages are piling up somewhere?  Are there any other Erlang commands
for examining the system to see where any logjams may be?

Would publishing persistent messages to a durable exchange with no
queues bound to it at all (yet) cause the messages to stick around?

Do persistent messages require some kind of acknowledgment I'm perhaps
missing out on?

Thanks for any suggestions.

	Barry