[rabbitmq-discuss] [ANN] lift 0.3.0

David Pollak feeder.of.the.bears at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 00:37:48 GMT 2007

Folks,

I'm am very pleased to announce that the lift web framework version 0.3.0 is
now available.

lift is a secure, simple, powerful web framework for building real-time
collaborative applications.  lift is written in Scala, the functional/OO
hybrid language that runs on the JVM and is completely interoperable with
Java and Java libraries.  lift applications deploy as WAR files on servlet
engines supporting Servlet 2.4 and greater including Jetty and Tomcat.

First... some thanks... then the new features... then some goodies...

I'd like to thank the amazingly awesome lift committers... a growing team of
extraordinary people.  Since 0.2.0, lift has gone from being a near solo
effort to being a group effort.  David Bernard has done an awesome job of
adding process, mainly in the form of Maven, to lift.  Steve Jenson, Jorge
Ortiz Hinojosa, and Viktor Klang have committed new features and
enhancements into the code base.  And Daniel Green, the lift outreach guy,
has kept us excited and started the drum-beat to tell the world about the
benefits of using lift.  I'd also like to thank Gregory Brown of Ruport fame
for showing me how to build an open source community.

New features:

   - Ajax support including jQuery integration
   - Radically improved Comet support
   - Facebook API support
   - AMQP (RabbitMQ) support
   - Built in traits (mixins) for Users and Tags
   - Support for new O-R mapped field types including Country, Locale,
   Time Zone, Postal Code, etc.
   - Lots of new example code including a real-time blog
   - Improved XHTML support for modern browsers
   - Support for multiple database instances
   - Improved regular expression support including regex -> object
   creation for simple parsers
   - A new and improved Textile parser
   - Much more documentation, both in the form of ScalaDocs and in the
   form of an wiki with lots of excellent code

While the new feature list is impressive, what is more important is that the
lift APIs are settling and lift is becoming ready to build real
applications.

There are half a dozen projects currently being built on lift and
http://much4.us has been up and running and helping me organize my life.

So... the good stuff:

   - There's a new Scala Blog: http://scala-blogs.org  It's a central
   point for lift and Scala related blogging including an excellent example of
   building Digg in < 140 lines of code
   - The "Programming in Scala" book will be available in draft version
   very soon
   - A video of me presenting on lift to the Seattle Java Users Group is
   available at http://liftweb.net/index.php/SeaJUG
   - The lift wiki http://liftweb.net has lots of budding tutorials,
   documentation, and frequently asked questions, etc.
   - The lift mailing list hit 600 posts last month and is now a "medium
   volume" Google Group http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb
   - And... Daniel Green is the lift outreach guy (yeah, I said it
   already... but it's worth saying again.)

Please download Maven and Java... that's all you need to build a lift
application.  Type:
mvn archetype:create -U                                    \
-DarchetypeGroupId=net.liftweb                             \
-DarchetypeArtifactId=lift-archetype-blank                 \
-DarchetypeVersion=0.3.0                                   \
-DremoteRepositories=http://scala-tools.org/repo-releases  \
-DgroupId=com.test -DartifactId=ilikeit

And that's all there is to starting out with lift.  If you like it... join
the mailing list, ask questions, give feedback...  If you don't like it...
give feedback.

Thanks,

David

--