[rabbitmq-discuss] AMQP v0-9

Robert Godfrey rob.j.godfrey at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 21:36:15 BST 2007

On 23/08/07, Matthias Radestock <matthias at lshift.net> wrote:

> Robert Godfrey wrote:
> > My feeling is that any broker that supports 0-9 (non-WIP) should be able
> > to also trivially support 0-8.
>
> It's not that easy, unfortunately. 0-9 makes some changes to existing
> methods. For example, channel.open-ok gets an additional channel-id
> field, and basic.consume gets an additional filter field. If, like us,
> you are auto-generating the codec from the spec then this poses a problem.

Qpid auto generates code from the spec, but with changes this small I would
think we could work in a few bits of non-generated code to support both
versions.  Given the degree of change in 0-10 I'm not wanting to expend much
effort on 0-9 - but I think that having 0-9 compatability at the broker
really shouldn't be a big deal (it may not be able to be done with
particular beauty though).  [For instance I think Qpid actually already has
the basic.consume filter argument].

Given Martin's claim that it took them 1 day to implement the changes... i
would think that it should be possible for Qpid (and Rabbit if you like) to
have versions that work with both protocol revisions.  However the real
focus will be on getting 0-10 implemented.

-- Rob

Matthias.